French and IDLE on Windows (was Re: Python usage numbers)

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Sun Feb 12 18:30:21 EST 2012

On 2/12/2012 2:52 PM, jmfauth wrote:

> Python popularity? I have no popularity-meter. What I know:
> I can not type French text in IDLE on Windows. It is like

I am pretty sure others have managed to. tk and hence idle handle the
entire BMP subset of unicode just fine once they get them. Except for
the apple version, which has just been fixed so French entry should
work. Showing characters on the screen requires an appropriate font.
http://bugs.python.org/issue4281 was the result of a font problem.

> this since ~ten years and I never saw any complain about
> this.

Neither have I, except for the issue above I just found. So there is
nothing obvious to fix.

If you have a problem, give the specifics here and lets see if someone
has a solution.

--
Terry Jan Reedy