ANN: Sarge, a library wrapping the subprocess module, has been released.

Rick Johnson rantingrickjohnson at gmail.com
Sun Feb 12 23:26:02 EST 2012

On Feb 12, 2:13 pm, Vinay Sajip <vinay_sa... at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> wc(ls("/etc", "-1"), "-l")
>
> is not as readable as
>
> call(“ls /etc –1 | wc –l”)

And i agree!

I remember a case where i was forced to use an idiotic API for
creating inputbox dialogs. Something like this:

prompts = ['Height', 'Width', 'Color']
values = [10, 20, Null]
options = [Null, Null, "Red|White|Blue"]
dlg(prompts, values, options)

...and as you can see this is truly asinine!

Later, someone "slightly more intelligent" wrapped this interface up
like this:

dlg = Ipb("Title")
dlg.add("Height")
dlg.add("Width", 39)
dlg.add("Color", ["Red", "White", "Blue"])
dl.show()

...and whilst i prefer this interface over the original, i new we
could make it better; because we had the technology!

dlg = Ipb(
    "Title",
    "Height=10",
    "Width=20",