Komodo 7 release (Python development tools)

Todd Whiteman toddw at activestate.com
Tue Feb 14 13:30:54 EST 2012

On 12-02-08 01:52 PM, Terry Reedy wrote:
> On 2/8/2012 3:14 PM, Todd Whiteman wrote:
>
>> My name is Todd. I'm the lead developer for Komodo IDE (Interactive
>> Development Environment) and Komodo Edit (a free, open-source editor) at
>> ActiveState. I wanted to announce that the newest version, Komodo 7, has
>> been released:
>> http://www.activestate.com/komodo-ide/python-editor
>
> It would seem that the Professional Python Editor is the same as Komodo
> Edit, but it is unclear why only Python editing would be featured for
> Komodo IDE.
>
> http://www.activestate.com/komodo-edit
>
> is the page with the link people need to download just the editor.

The above page covers features from both Edit and IDE - some will only
apply to the IDE version. For a full comparison of features you can
check out:
http://www.activestate.com/komodo-edit/compare-with-komodo-ide

> Does K.Edit let me run a program with one key, like F5 in IDLE?
> If so, does it leave me in interactive mode (python -i) as IDLE does?

Komodo Edit does not offer a quick run (F5) command by default, you
could create your own Python command [1] in the Komodo toolbox and
assign it the F5 key binding to serve such a purpose.

[1] The short command for running a Python script is: "%(python) %F",
which uses Komodo's interpolation shortcuts:
http://docs.activestate.com/komodo/7.0/shortcuts.html#shortcuts_top

Cheers,
Todd