[OT]: Smartphones and Python?

88888 Dihedral dihedral88888 at googlemail.com
Sun Feb 19 00:58:32 EST 2012

在 2012年2月19日星期日UTC+8上午8时36分48秒,Michael Torrie写道:
> On 02/18/2012 10:46 AM, Lie Ryan wrote:
> > Android does have a full Linux experience; what it lacks is the GNU
> > experience. Unlike "normal" Linux distros, Android does not use GNU
> > userspace, instead it have its own userspace based on bionic, toolbox,
> > and dalvik. Linux is a core part of Android's user and developer's
> > experience.
>
> The fact that RIM is porting Android to QNX would seem to contradict
> your assertion that Linux is a core part of Android's user and developer
> experience.  Have you developed for Android?  In what way do you
> interact with Linux in your apps and APIs?  Can you make system calls?
> How is Linux a core part of Android's user and developer experience?  I
> know that Android does allow some integration of native code, so that
> does meld Linux and Android somewhat.
>
> >From a user's pov (non-rooted), there is nothing of Linux exposed.  I
> just install apps, run them, and manipulate my files which are stored in
> my sd card.  The fact that it's in /mnt/sdcard is completely hidden, as
> are all files that support dalvik.  The OS could be Windows, iOS, or
> whatever.  It doesn't matter because the platform is not defined by the
> kernel but by the APIs that apps need to use to run on the platform,
> just like in Python!  In fact in some ways calling Android "Linux" would
> be similar to calling Java and the Sun JVM "Linux" or Python, "Linux"
> just because it happens to run atop that kernel.  I have mentioned those
> specifically because they are interpreted or virtual machines
> themselves; the "binaries" run regardless of underlying CPU type, or
> kernel type.
>
> In my mind, the fact that Android runs on the Linux kernel is almost
> entirely coincidental to Android's aims.  Google could have developed
> their own kernel, but of course it's much cheaper to use Linux.  And of
> course Dalvik is currently written to consume posix APIs from the kernel.
>
> In my mind, and in my experience with Android, Linux is irrelevant.

Do you have to write a touch screen device driver under
any mobile phone requested by your boss?

If the current one is not suitable in the
market entangled with law suites from other big corps,
do you have to chunk a clean implementation?

> In
> fact continuing to call Android "Linux" might just be doing ourselves a
> disservice.  In any case, saying that since it's linux, you can install
> anything you want on it, such as a JVM, is neither useful or accurate.

Check the Jython JRE lib. If it is not compatable under
Android's system, then there are jobs to do in the JVM
maintainer in  Androids or some revised requests for
the Jython JRE library group.