Python as a default shell, replacement of bash, sh, cmd ?

88888 Dihedral dihedral88888 at googlemail.com
Mon Feb 20 01:15:44 EST 2012

在 2012年2月20日星期一UTC+8上午8时23分33秒,Michael Torrie写道:
> On 02/18/2012 11:58 AM, SherjilOzair wrote:
> > Has it been considered to add shell features to python, such that it
> > can be used as a default shell, as a replacement for bash, etc.
> >
> > I'm sure everyone would agree that doing this would make the terminal
> > very powerful.
> >
> > What are your views on this?
>
> I use python for system programming all the time, in place of bash.
> However Python is not designed as shell language, just as Bash is not
> really designed for the type of application development that Python is.

To use Python as a shell with customized scripts  is feasiable for those hose have to work on different OS enviroments from  time to time. This is a handy approach to ease the user the burden  to memorize
different commands of different OS environments.

Of course, this might add some overheads in executing some operations.

Nowadays attracting more people especially noices to use linux is the way to keep unix programming alive in the future.