netCDF4 variable manipulation

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Mon Feb 20 18:53:03 EST 2012

On Mon, 20 Feb 2012 12:37:22 -0800, Sheldon wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to read a netCDF4 variable from a file (no problem) and then
> scale it before writing over the original variable in the file.
>
> I'm using python 2.7 and the latest netCDF4 module. It's not that I keep
> getting an error message but I want to do this without using for loops
> and all the manuals seems to be skipping this task as if it is never
> done. I'm new to python and coming over from matlab. Does anyone know
> how to modify the netCDF4 variable in python and then write it back
> without creating a new variable, or using for loops?

There is no such thing as "the netCDF4 variable" in Python -- it is not a
built-in part of the language, and therefore there is no built-in feature
for manipulating it.

You are going to have to be more specific about what you want than just
"how do I modify a variable with for loops?".

My wild guess is that you have some sort of config file which includes a
field called "netCDF4" and you want to update it in place. We can't tell
you how to do this without knowing what the config file is -- is it an
INI file, XML, JSON, YAML, Unix-style rc file, a binary pickle, or
something else?

--
Steven