[pyxl] xlrd 0.7.2 released!

python-excel at raf.org python-excel at raf.org
Tue Feb 21 19:37:47 EST 2012

Chris Withers wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I'm pleased to announce the release of xlrd 0.7.2. This release,
> like the xlwt release, is long overdue and has been over 2.5 years
> in the making!
> [...snip...]
>
> I've currently only put up .tar.gz sdists, if anyone requires
> anything else, please explain why and I'll be happy to add!

hi,

a windows installer exe would be good for the same reasons it
was good for previous versions. two reasons that spring to mind
immediately are:

 - it makes it much easier to tell what version is installed
 - it makes it much easier to uninstall the package

i know that both of these are things that the python community
does not yet seem to find useful but everyone else seems to.

for instance, if i just install the new versions of these packages
on windows, it will replace the python-specific files that were
associated with the previous version but it will have no impact
on the system's list of installed software so if i look at the
add/remove software control panel, it will happily tell me that
i still have the previous versions. on the other hand, if the new
versions were installed with windows installers, they would be able
to properly replace the old versions with the new versions and make
it clear that it has done do.

knowing this, i will of course uninstall the old versions before
installing the new versions so at least windows won't be forced
to lie to me about what versions are installed.

of course, i might be wrong about all of this and setup.py may manage
the windows installed software list properly and do a proper upgrade.
if so, sorry for wasting time.

cheers,
raf