asynchronous downloading

Mark Hammond mhammond at skippinet.com.au
Thu Feb 23 06:20:40 EST 2012

On 23/02/2012 5:58 PM, Plumo wrote:
> I want to download content asynchronously. This would be
> straightforward to do threaded or across processes, but difficult
> asynchronously so people seem to rely on external libraries (twisted
> / gevent / eventlet).

Exactly - the fact it's difficult is why those tools compete.

> (I would use gevent under different circumstances, but currently need
> to stick to standard libraries.)

As above - use threads or processes - they are fine for relatively
modest tasks.  If your needs go beyond modest, I'd reevaluate your need
to stick with just the stdlib - even demanding *sync* http apps often
wind up using modules outside the stdlib.  Look into virtualenv etc if
permission to install packages is the issue.

Batteries included free, but turbo-chargers are an extra ;)

Mark