unexpected behaviour playing with dynamic methods

Marc Aymerich glicerinu at gmail.com
Thu Feb 23 08:44:46 EST 2012

On Feb 23, 2:05 pm, Peter Otten <__pete... at web.de> wrote:
> Marc Aymerich wrote:
> > Hi,
>
> > I'm playing a bit with python dynamic methods and I came up with a
> > scenario that I don't understant. Considering the follow code:
>
> > # Declare a dummy class
> > class A(object):
> >     pass
>
> > # generate a dynamic method and insert it to A class
> > for name in ['a', 'b', 'c']:
> >     if name == 'b':
> >         @property
> >         def get_name(self):
> >             return name
> >         A.name = get_name
>
> > a_instance = A()
> > a_instance.name
>
> > # So far I exptect that a_instance.name  returns 'b', since it has
> > been created when name == 'b', but this is what actually returns:

> > 'c'
>
> > just the last 'name' value.
> > What can I do in order to generate a method like this but that returns
> > 'b' ? What is wrong in my understanding of this pice of code?
>
> Look at the method again:
>
> >         def get_name(self):
> >             return name
>
> It returns the global variable name. Why would you expect to see a
> historical value of that variable?

hehe, yeah, after sending my email I realized that it was obvious, but
the true is I came up with this problem in a more complex situation
involving lot's of imports and so on.. so the question: wtf is going
on?? came up to me at this time :P

> If you want to capture the value of name at the time when get_name() is
> defined you have several options:
>
> - The default argument trick:
>
> def get_name(self, name=name):
>     return name
>
> - A closure:
>
> def make_get_name(name):
>     def get_name(self):
>         return name
>     return get_name
> A.name = property(make_get_name(name))
>
> - functools.partial()
>
> def get_name(self, name):
>     return name
> A.name = property(partial(get_name, name=name))

Wow Peter, I was expecting one solution and you give me 3 amazing
solutions!! :) Thanks a lot!

btw I always wondered for what functools.partial can be useful, now I
know an example :)