asynchronous downloading

Giampaolo Rodolà g.rodola at gmail.com
Thu Feb 23 12:31:54 EST 2012

Il 23 febbraio 2012 07:58, Plumo <richardbp at gmail.com> ha scritto:
> I want to download content asynchronously. This would be straightforward to do threaded or across processes, but difficult asynchronously so people seem to rely on external libraries (twisted / gevent / eventlet).
>
> (I would use gevent under different circumstances, but currently need to stick to standard libraries.)
>
> I looked around and found there is little interest in developing a proper HTTP client on asyncore. The best I found stopped development a decade ago: http://sourceforge.net/projects/asynchttp/
>
> What do you recommend?
> And why is there poor support for asynchronous execution?
>
> Richard
> --

If you want to stick with asyncore try to take a look at this:
https://gist.github.com/1519999

> And why is there poor support for asynchronous execution?

I'd say that's true for stdlib only (asyncore/asynchat).
There are plenty of choices amongst third party modules though.
To say one, I particularly like tornado which is simple and powerful:
http://www.tornadoweb.org/documentation/httpclient.html

--- Giampaolo
http://code.google.com/p/pyftpdlib/
http://code.google.com/p/psutil/