namespace question

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Sun Feb 26 03:47:49 EST 2012

Steven D'Aprano <steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info> writes:

> The preferred terms in Python circles are class and instance
> *attributes*, not variables.

Yes, full ACK.

> An integer variable is a variable holding an integer.
> A string variable is a variable holding a string.
> A list variable is a variable holding a list.

And Python has none of those. Its references don't “hold” anything.

I appreciate that you think “variable” is a useful term in Python, but
this kind of mangling of the concept convinces me that it's not worth
it.

Python doesn't have variables, and even if you want to say “variables”
when you mean “references”, there's no such thing as a “string variable”
etc. in Python. References don't have types, so its needlessly confusing
to perpetuate that kind of thinking.

> Other languages may choose to use illogical terminology if they choose.

Whereas we are not beholden to it, so let's avoid it where feasible, and
help newcomers to do so.

--
 \           “There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their |
  `\     home.” —Ken Olson, president, chairman and founder of Digital |