suppressing argparse arguments in the help

Andrea Crotti andrea.crotti.0 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 09:42:04 EST 2012

I have a script that might be used interactively but also has some
arguments that
should not be used by "normal" users.
So I just want to suppress them from the help.
I've read somewhere that the help=SUPPRESS should do what I want:

     parser.add_argument('-n', '--test_only',
                         action='store_true',
                         help=SUPPRESS)

but that's what I get from "myapp -h", which is not exactly what I was
looking for..

   -f, --first_level     ==SUPPRESS== (default: False)
   --never_redevelop     ==SUPPRESS== (default: False)

Any other solutions?