suppressing argparse arguments in the help

Calvin Spealman ironfroggy at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 17:17:25 EST 2012

On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 1:07 PM, Peter Otten <__peter__ at web.de> wrote:
> Andrea Crotti wrote:

>>> That shouldn't happen. Did you reload() somewhere?
>>> argparse tests object identity not equality with SUPPRESS, so you have to
>>> ensure that SUPPRESS stems from the same instance of the argparse module
>>> as your ArgumentParser.
>>>

>> Ah great yes it wasn't actually the same..
>> but why not just use
>> if text != SUPPRESS
>> instead of:
>> if text is not SUPPRESS

Because identity tests are good in these situations where you need to pass a
"special" value and anything else could be valid, technically. This is known as
a "sentinel" and is a common pattern.

http://techblog.ironfroggy.com/
Follow me if you're into that sort of thing: http://www.twitter.com/ironfroggy