entering unicode (was Python usage numbers)

rusi rustompmody at gmail.com
Sun Feb 19 03:52:34 EST 2012

On Feb 19, 8:44 am, Steven D'Aprano <steve
+comp.lang.pyt... at pearwood.info> wrote:
> On Sun, 12 Feb 2012 19:09:32 -0800, rusi wrote:
> > I have some bunch of sanskrit (devanagari) to type.  It would be easiest
> > for me if I could have the English (roman) as well as the sanskrit
> > (devanagari).
>
> > For example using the devanagari-itrans input method I can write the
> > gayatri mantra using
>
> > OM bhUrbhuvaH suvaH
> > tatsaviturvarenyam
> > bhargo devasya dhImahi
> > dhiyo yonaH prachodayAt
>
> > and emacs produces *on the fly* (ie I cant see/edit the above)
>
> > ॐ भूर्भुवः सुवः तत्सवितुर्वरेण्यम् भर्गो
>
> देवस्य धीमहि धियो योनः
>
> > प्रचोदयात्
>
> > Can I do it in batch mode? ie write the first in a file and run some
> > command on it to produce the second?
>
> What is the devanagari-itrans input method? Do you actually type the
> characters into a terminal?

Its one of the dozens (hundreds actually) of input methods that emacs
has.
In emacs M-x set-input-method
and then give devanagari-itrans.
Its details are described (somewhat poorly) here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ITRANS

> If so, you should be able to type the first into a file, copy it, then
> paste it into the input buffer to be processed.

For now Ive got it working in emacs with some glitches but it  will do
for now:

http://groups.google.com/group/gnu.emacs.help/browse_thread/thread/bfa6b05ce565d96d#

> --
> Steven

Thanks
[Actually thanks-squared
one for looking
two for backing up this thread to something more useful than ... :-)
]

Coincidentally, along this, your response, Ive got another mail to
another unicode related interest of mine: apl under linux.

So far I was the sole (known) user of this: http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/AplInDebian
I hear the number of users has just doubled :-)