alternative to with statement?

Prasad, Ramit ramit.prasad at jpmorgan.com
Tue Feb 28 17:12:45 EST 2012

Craig Yoshioka wrote:
>I see that there was previously a PEP to allow the with statement to skip the enclosing block... this was shot down, and I'm trying to think of the most elegant alternative. [..]

>I would have really liked:
>with cachingcontext(x):
>    # create cached resources here
># return cached resources

Is this a common pattern? I thought the point of the context manager
was to remove create and close the resources (like with file opening).
Seems slightly odd to use just for creation...but maybe only because
I have never used it like that.

Ramit

712 Main Street | Houston, TX 77002
work phone: 713 - 216 - 5423