Python3 on MacOsX Lion?

K Richard Pixley rich at noir.com
Mon Jan 2 16:23:01 EST 2012

On 1/2/12 13:03 , Benjamin Kaplan wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 2, 2012 at 2:32 PM, K Richard Pixley<rich at noir.com>  wrote:
>> Where would I look to find the current expected status of python3 on MacOsX
>> Lion?
>>
>> The distributed binaries aren't capable of allowing extensions that use gcc.
>>
>> I can build the source naked, but then it lacks some libraries, notably,
>> readline.
>>
>> Attempting to build the full Mac packages fails, even with the few tiny
>> patches I used for 2.7.2.
>>
>> Is anyone working on this?  Are there pre-release patches available?
>>
>> Should I be asking elsewhere?
>>
>> --rich
>> --
>
> Have you tried building through Macports?

No, I haven't.  Macports scares me.  When I tried them, or fink, in the
past, they rapidly polluted my boot disk and I didn't have any way to
unpollute it other than reloading from scratch.

In freebsd, netbsd, or any of the linux distributions, I can trivially
create a virtual machine in about 20 minutes, screw with it as I like,
and toss it in seconds.  In modern linux, I can create a root file
system with btrfs, snapshot, chroot to the snapshot and munge away.
When I'm done, I can just toss the snapshot.  (Can do snapshots in
vmware too).

If I screw up my boot drive in MacOsX, I'm in for hours of recovery time
reloading from Time Machine.  While that's a lot better than it used to
be now that Time Machine is available, (reloading can now be done
largely unattended), it's not a price I'm willing to pay in order to
attempt to use Macports.

--rich