Spamming PyPI with stupid packages

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Mon Jan 2 16:59:53 EST 2012

Devin Jeanpierre <jeanpierreda at gmail.com> writes:

> > Nonsense. Felinx is free to make sexist jokes, and others are free
> > to howl him down when he does so. PyPI has no obligation to be a
> > platform to amplify anyone's prejudice.
>
> A module named "girlfriend" won't amplify anyone's prejudice. It is,
> at that point, just a joke.

I agree that it's a joke. It is a joke at the expense of women:
promoting the view that, like a car or a house (the other modules that
were part of the joke), a girlfriend is a possession to be acquired.

> The punchline is "import girlfriend"

Yes, exactly.

The next time someone asks why the ratio of women becoming programmers
is disproportionately low, please recall episodes where men here give
defenses of jokes that objectify women.

Instead, the more we marginalise sexism and reject normalising it
through sexist jokes, the safer this community can become for anyone of
any sex.

--
 \       “If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting |
  `\   them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good |