Newbie Help

mixolydian mixolydian at postersRUS
Tue Jan 3 18:13:17 EST 2012

I want to get into Python progamming for both local database applications and
dynamic web pages. Maybe some Q&D scripts.
There is a ton of excellent language books.

I have downloaded and installed 2.7.2 and got it working by pasting samples
into IDLE, and uploading to my web server and doing trial CGI samples.
So far, so good.

I would like some advice on:
  1. IDEs
  2. GUI tools, tkinter and others
  3. An integrated web server package for Win Vista for testing web apps before
deploying. Uploading to my ISP to run is a PIA. I've installed VertrigoServ to
try, but am chasing my tail around the Apache configuration.
      Is there something easier?
Just pointers to get me started would be fine.

More info.I will be migrating data base apps from MSAccess 2000. I know, I
know, but it was free on my original Win 95 PC.
I've been programming for 50 years and have had to learn (and unlearn) a lot,
and I'm eager to learn new stuff.

Thanks.