Spamming PyPI with stupid packages

Arnaud Delobelle arnodel at gmail.com
Wed Jan 4 15:51:26 EST 2012

On 4 January 2012 20:08, Ian Kelly <ian.g.kelly at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 12:36 PM, Tony Pelletier
> <tony.pelletier at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I have zero desire to follow the rules of a Python(here's the ironic part.
>> Get it now clever boy?) list when it'd riddled with childish banter that has
>> nothing to do with........ wait for it......................... Python?
>
> Fair enough.  If this thread and this exchange were actually
> representative of the list, I wouldn't want to waste my time with it
> either.

Sadly, my feeling is that the amount of vacuous discussions and
hair-splitting debates is steadily increasing.  Just to see, I had a
look at the archives for July 2001 (because that's around the time I
took up Python) and the list definitely had a more interesting feel to
it.  It also made me realise that many of the best contributors have
gone or only make rare appearances.  Anyway, there was little spam,
but already some trolls, e.g.

    "Is Python Dead?"
    http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2001-July/091178.html

Not everyone was convinced about PEP 238 (new semantics for "/"):

    http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2001-July/090659.html

Did you change your mind, Terry?  I too used to be against it :)

I'll stop now.  Cheers,

--
Arnaud