How to support a non-standard encoding?

Ivan ivan at llaisdy.com
Fri Jan 6 05:03:17 EST 2012

Dear All

I'm developing a python application for which I need to support a
non-standard character encoding (specifically ISO 6937/2-1983, Addendum
1-1989).  Here are some of the properties of the encoding and its use in
the application:

   - I need to read and write data to/from files.  The file format
     includes two sections in different character encodings (so I
     shan't be able to use codecs.open()).

   - iso-6937 sections include non-printing control characters

   - iso-6937 is a variable width encoding, e.g. "A" = [41],
     "Ä" = [0xC8, 0x41]; all non-spacing diacritical marks are in the
     range 0xC0-0xCF.

By any chance is there anyone out there working on iso-6937?

Otherwise, I think I need to write a new codec to support reading and
writing this data.  Does anyone know of any tutorials or blog posts on
implementing a codec for a non-standard characeter encoding?  Would
anyone be interested in reading one?

With thanks and best wishes

Ivan

Ivan A. Uemlianin
Llaisdy

                     ivan at llaisdy.com
                      www.llaisdy.com
                          llaisdy.wordpress.com
               github.com/llaisdy
                      www.linkedin.com/in/ivanuemlianin

     "Froh, froh! Wie seine Sonnen, seine Sonnen fliegen"
                      (Schiller, Beethoven)