import problems.

Antoon Pardon antoon.pardon at rece.vub.ac.be
Wed Jan 11 09:45:36 EST 2012

On 01/11/2012 02:57 PM, Peter Otten wrote:
> Antoon Pardon wrote:
>

>> I have an import problem I can't figure out.
>> I am using python 2.6.6 on a debian box
>>
>> In one directory (pylib) I have a file misc.py and
>> the file testutil.py.
>>

>>       from misc import Rec
>> ImportError: cannot import name Rec
>>
>> Why can I import Rec from misc in testutil when I call testutil.py
>> directly but not when testutil was imported itself?
>>
> Without looking into the details, could it be that you have two misc.py
> files one with and one without Rec
Well that depends on what you mean with "have".  This is what
turned up when I searched for "misc.py"

$ find /usr/local/lib /usr/lib /local/home/apardon -name misc.py -print
2> /dev/null
/usr/lib/python2.6/compiler/misc.py
/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/PyQt4/uic/Compiler/misc.py
/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/numpy/oldnumeric/misc.py
/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/docutils/transforms/misc.py
/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/docutils/parsers/rst/directives/misc.py
/local/home/apardon/src/projecten/pylib/misc.py

That last one is my file, the rest doesn't seem to be in sys.path so
they shouldn't interfere
as far as I understand. Changing the name of my file to miscutil.py
resolves the problem though.

I'll see if I can figure out more.