open office in another language?

Nelle Varoquaux nelle.varoquaux at gmail.com
Fri Jan 13 11:46:28 EST 2012

On 13 January 2012 17:39, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 00:17, Sean Wolfe <ether.joe at gmail.com> wrote:
> > hmm I didn't know this, nice to know. Yes, C++ is still enough
> > overhead that I wouldn't want to try extending it ... I bet the code
> > is a whole lot to try and grok.
> >

> When Apache got the LibreOffice project they heavily refactored the
> code. As a result, LO is considered less of a monstrosity to hack on
> than Open Office.

Once again, a nitpick. Apache did not get the LibreOffice project, but the
Openoffice.org project from Oracle. LibreOffice is a fork of openoffice and
a foundation independant from Apache. Work has been done to simplify the
code, but I wouldn't say it is much better: they can do a limited amount of
job with a limited amount of developpers (mostly old OOo devs). So yes,
there are less comments written in german than there used to, but it is
still a very old, buggy code in which changing a line causes lots of pain.