ERROR:root:code for hash md5 was not found

Marc Christiansen usenet at solar-empire.de
Sat Jan 14 07:33:12 EST 2012

Steven D'Aprano <steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info> wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Jan 2012 06:14:50 -0800, mike wrote:
>> pysibelius is a lib that we use.
>>
>> I am not sure that is the problem since the python program works on SuSE
>> but not on RH server. And AFAIK
>> the only difference ( well that I can see) is the OpenSSL version.
>
> OpenSSL is irrelevant. If it isn't available, or doesn't provide md5,
> then the hashlib library will use its own implementation. But the _md5
> module is missing in the pysibelius Python on your RedHat system.
>
> As I said, your Python installation is seriously broken. Required modules
> are just *gone*.
>
> pysibelius appears to have patched Python in some way, because strange
> unexpected error messages are being printed that do not happen on a
> normal unpatched Python, e.g.:
>
> ERROR:root:code for hash sha224 was not found.
>
> That is not a normal Python error message. That looks like something
> added by pysibelius.

Steven, I think you're wrong with regard to the error message.
Straight from the tarball, Python-2.7.2/Lib/hashlib.py line 135ff:

for __func_name in __always_supported:
    # try them all, some may not work due to the OpenSSL
    # version not supporting that algorithm.
    try:
        globals()[__func_name] = __get_hash(__func_name)
    except ValueError:
        import logging
        logging.exception('code for hash %s was not found.', __func_name)

Of course this does not invalidate the fact (is that even possible?) of
the brokenness of the installation.

Ciao
  Marc