PyWarts: time, datetime, and calendar modules

Evan Driscoll edriscoll at wisc.edu
Sat Jan 14 15:58:26 EST 2012

On 01/14/2012 02:11 PM, Devin Jeanpierre wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 14, 2012 at 2:23 PM, Rick Johnson
> <rantingrickjohnson at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> THAT PISSES ME OFF!!!>:( We should never be forced to guess if a name
>> is a callable or a variable!
>>
>> So how do we solve this dilemma you ask??? Well, we need to "mark"
>> method OR variable names (OR both!) with syntactic markers so there
>> will be NO confusion.
>
> I might be being bit OT, but, you should give Common Lisp a try. It
> does something similar for functions versus variables.
>
> As for the issue, I suppose I can see how this would be confusing. I
> don't agree with your solution, though.

It also has some problems. For instance, if an object has a member which
is a type that implements __call__ but is also useful to access "on its
own", is that a field or a function?

Personally, I'd suggest the thing to "fix" to solve your confusion would
be how things like your code completion and dir() display the results,
not anything fundamental about the language. (And also the datetime
API.) PyDev, for instance, tries to show you what "kind" of thing each
entry in its completion menu are.

Evan