pymysql only works under IDLE

Saul Spatz saul.spatz at gmail.com
Mon Jan 16 19:18:22 EST 2012

I've been using pymysql to connect to a database, and it has suddenly stopped working on the one machine (a virtual server) where I really need it to work.  I have a function with hard-coded parameters to do the connection, and now I'm getting an error that says, "Can't connect to MySQL server on ...".  The strangest thing is that while I can't connect if I run the script from the command line, or from the shell under Wing IDE, I can connect if I run the script under the IDLE shell.

I noticed that the command line shell prints

Python 2.7.2 (default, Jun 12 2011, 14:24:46) [MSC v.1500 64 bit (AMD64)] on win32

at startup, but the IDLE shell prints

Python 2.7.2 (default, Jun 12 2011, 14:24:46) [MSC v.1500 64 bit (AMD64)] on win32

So, while the first lines are identical, the second lines are different.  Is this a different interpreter then?  Can anyone tell me what the difference is?  I'm hoping that may help me figure out what's gone wrong.

I'm running on Windows 7.

I'll be grateful for any help you can give me.

Saul