Installing Python on CentOS 6 - a big pain

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Thu Jan 19 06:27:33 EST 2012

On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 10:16 PM, Christian Heimes <lists at cheimes.de> wrote:
> Much easier:
>
> $ apt-get build-dep python

In the specific case where that's available, it's fine. I've not
gotten into the habit of trusting it, though, largely because a lot of
what I compile _isn't_ in the package manager - otherwise I'd just
apt-get the thing and save the trouble. (Although, more and more, I'm
finding that I want to update to a version that isn't in Debian's repo
- eg SciTE has had a LOT of new features since the version in
repository - so I end up compiling from source still.)

ChrisA