The devolution of English language and slothful c.l.p behaviors exposed!

Ian Kelly ian.g.kelly at gmail.com
Tue Jan 24 01:53:04 EST 2012

On Mon, Jan 23, 2012 at 10:57 PM, Rick Johnson
<rantingrickjohnson at gmail.com> wrote:

> Here is a grep

A grep?  What is a grep?  That word is not in any of my dictionaries.
Are you perhaps carelessly invoking the neologism of referring to an
execution of the "grep" UNIX program as "a grep"?

> from the month of September 2011 showing the rampantly
> egregious misuse of the following words and phrases:

How can anything be "rampantly egregious"?  Do you instead mean
"rampant, egregious misuse"?

> "Pretty" is the most ludicrous of them all! As you will see, "pretty"
> is used superfluously, over and over again!

Over what and over what again?  Idioms such as this are the mark of a
lazy speaker; they can be confusing to non-native speakers and are
best avoided.

> In fact, you could safely
> omit "pretty" without sacrificing any meaning of most all the
> sentences that include the word "pretty".

Then it is rather like the word "all" in the sentence quoted above,
although unlike that usage, the usages of the word "pretty" that you
cite are at least grammatically correct.

> Likewise, in 99% of the
> examples, the word "difficult" can be substituted for the word "hard"
> without sacrificing any meaning.

That is because "difficult" and "hard" are synonyms.  Similarly, you
could have used the word "similarly" in the above sentence instead of
"likewise" without sacrificing any meaning.

> Same for "correct" and "right". Of
> course, "used to" and "supposed to" will require people to rethink
> there lazy and slothful ways.

I'm sorry.  Where will it require people to rethink lazy and slothful
ways?  The pronoun "there" in your sentence seems to lack an
antecedent.