Determining version of OpenSSL linked against python?

Adam Mercer ramercer at gmail.com
Wed Jan 25 15:41:49 EST 2012

On Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 14:04, Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu> wrote:

> If you are not willing to tell Debian Squeeze users to install 2.7, or that
> they cannot run your program, ask the bug reporter to tell you what version
> of OpenSSL the system comes with and code it into your program.

I would like to only support python-2.7 as that would make a few other
things easier but the powers that be think otherwise, I unfortunately
need to target python-2.6.

> Or possibly, depending on what you do with the version info and what the
> differences are between versions, replace 'if version ...' constructs with
> 'try ... except...' constructs.

My code already has a try... except block that tries the
ssl.OPENSSL_VERSION approach first but I wanted to have a fallback
method that works with python-2.6. Looks like I may need to hardcode
certain things.

Cheers

Adam