PyWart: Python regular expression syntax is not intuitive.

Evan Driscoll edriscoll at wisc.edu
Thu Jan 26 00:38:29 EST 2012

On 1/25/2012 20:24, Devin Jeanpierre wrote:
> If all you're going to change is the parser, maybe it'd be easier to
> get things to coexist if parsers were pluggable in the re module.
>
> It's more generally useful, too. Would let re gain a PyParsing/SNOBOL
> like expression "syntax", for example. Or a regular grammar syntax.
> Neat for experimentation.

I don't know what would be involved in that, but if it could be made to
work, that sounds to me like a remarkably good idea to have come out of
this thread.

(Now it's time for my own troll: "About as good of an idea as no longer
calling PCRE-alikes 'regular expressions', because they aren't." Ahhh,
got that out of my system. :-))

Evan