profiling the evolution

Andrea Crotti andrea.crotti.0 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 26 16:34:11 EST 2012

I am doing some analysis of profiling results and I use gprof2dot to
generate nice
graphs.

Now I was thinking, wouldn't it be great to have a way to get a nice
report that summarizes
the evolution of my code.
For example given two versions :

version 1:
func1: 10 seconds
func2: 20 seconds

version 2:
func1: 12 seconds
func2: 21 seconds

change:
func1: + 20 %
func2: + 5%

This requires some analysis of the stats generated but it shouldn't be
too hard.
Now the second thing is, does it make sense to generate a graph of this
evolution?
For example we can generate a normal profiling graph but give some
colors to the
nodes which are changed.

Another great thing would be to have a graph which is actually
clickable, so clicking
on nodes would take you to the right source code file.. I think only PDF
can do that
of the format provided by DOT right? And it might not be so trivial, any
alternatives?

Anyone did something similar and would like to share?