to express unicode string

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Sat Jan 28 18:03:41 EST 2012

On 1/28/2012 2:58 PM, Michael Torrie wrote:

> On my computer, s is a byte string that contains the utf-8 formatted
> encoding of 你好.

On mine, s is a (unicode) string containing those two characters. That
is because I pasted the above into IDLE 3.2.2 (on Win7, but should be
the same on all systems). (Pasting into the standard interpreter window,
which uses Windows stupid Command Prompt interface, does not work.)

To the OP. if you want to work easily with unicode, use Python 3.2 now
and Python 3.3 as soon as it comes out, in less than a year. We went
through the hassle of changing the string type from bytes to unicode
*because* having unicode as merely an add-on type was not working very well.

--
Terry Jan Reedy