except clause syntax question

Charles Yeomans charles at declareSub.com
Tue Jan 31 08:57:31 EST 2012

On Jan 30, 2012, at 7:00 PM, Steven D'Aprano wrote:

> On Mon, 30 Jan 2012 12:41:00 -0500, Charles Yeomans wrote:
>
>> To catch more than one exception type in an except block, one writes
>>
>> except (A, B, C) as e:
>>
>> I'm wondering why it was decided to match tuples, but not lists:
>>
>> except [A, B, C] as e:
>
> Simplicity.
>
> If you also allow lists, then why not allow arbitrary sequences? What
> about iterators, do you allow them? That could be awkward, because
> iterators can only be run through once. Dictionaries are also iterable,
> so once you allow arbitrary iterables, you get dicts. The whole thing
> becomes a mess. Better to keep it simple and only allow a single
> canonical collection type, and in Python, that type is tuple, not list.
>
> Tuples are that canonical collection type because they have a number of
> desirable properties:
>
> - Tuples are small and memory efficient, using the smallest amount of
>  memory needed to hold their items. Lists typically carry a block of
>  spare memory, to make insertions fast.
>
> - Consequently the Python virtual machine can create them rapidly and
>  efficiently.
>
> - Tuples are immutable, so you don't have to worry about passing one to a
>  function and having the function modify it behind your back.
>
> - Tuples are ordered, for the times where that matters.
>
> - Since the typical use-case is to iterate over the items in fixed order,
>  there's no need to pay the extra expense for a dict or set.
>
> - Tuples are simple to write: in general you only need commas between
>  items. Sometimes, to avoid ambiguity or change the precedence of
>  calculation, you also need round brackets (parentheses for Americans).
>  Except clauses are one of those times.
>
> - Frozensets and sets are ruled out for historical reasons: they didn't
>  exist until Python 2.3. Besides, which would you rather write?
>
>      ("abc", "def")
>      frozenset([abc", "def"])
>
> - Sets and lists are ruled out because they are mutable, both require
>  much more memory, and sets have a heavier computational burden.
>

>> The latter makes more sense semantically to me -- "catch all exception
>> types in a list" as opposed to "catch this single thing composed of
>> three exception types".
>
> Then you are labouring under a misunderstanding. You're not catching a
> tuple, because tuples are never thrown. You're catching any of the
> exceptions that are contained in that tuple.
>
> Both lists and tuples *are* single things in themselves. Both lists and
> tuples are containers:
>
> A list is a single thing that contains other things.
>
> A tuple is a single thing that contains other things.

I don't think of a tuple as a container, and I don't think it a misunderstanding on my part to think this.  But I am aware that it is common to use tuples as immutable lists.

I don't see that performance was really a consideration, given that one can use any expression in an except statement --

except IOError if today == 'Monday' else OSError as e

or

L = []
try:
    #code

except tuple(L) as e:
    pass

except Exception, e:
    L.append(e.__class__)

In any case, though I appreciate your attempt at a post hoc justification, I was hoping for a positive explanation.

Charles Yeomans