Spamming PyPI with stupid packages

Devin Jeanpierre jeanpierreda at gmail.com
Sun Jan 1 19:05:17 EST 2012

> Absolutely not funny. I hope that someday people will understand that sexism
> is just another form of racism.

One can understand that sexism is a terrible thing, and at the same
time make sexist jokes.

> Felinx Lee: Do apologize and rename your package/module or I'm going to make
> a racist comment against Chinese people.

This is a joke, right? Making some kind of racist remark about Chinese
people wouldn't help anything at all, and it's hypocritical given your
stance on sexist jokes. It's one thing to make a joke, to make people
laugh, and inadvertently hurt someone's feelings. It's much worse to
make a malicious comment to try to hurt someone deliberately.

On a slightly different note, PyPI uploads are in fact already
policed. See http://holdenweb.blogspot.com/2011/07/childish-behavior.html
for an example

Coincidentally, it also involved a joke that the PyPI maintainers
found in poor taste. It's also a good example, if you read deeper into
the history of the name and project, of how overzealous policing of
these jokes can drive people away from your community, just as
underzealous policing can. Please be less angry and more careful, and
appreciate that, most likely, nobody here is operating under evil
intentions. They are just operating under what you might call poor
taste.

-- Devin