Newbie Help

HoneyMonster someone at someplace.invalid
Wed Jan 4 11:43:26 EST 2012

On Tue, 03 Jan 2012 17:13:17 -0600, mixolydian wrote:

> I want to get into Python progamming for both local database
> applications and dynamic web pages. Maybe some Q&D scripts.

I am new to Python too, and recently completed my first "real" cross-
platform GUI application with local/remote database access.

I concur with the other replies. I see no need for an IDE and
wholeheartedly recommend PostgreSQL (which integrates with Python very
well indeed using Psycopg 2).

I have found wxPython best for GUI. There is even a source code generator
available for the graphical bits of the application - wxGlade. I was able
to get up to speed very easily and quickly indeed (though of course there
is a great deal more to learn). These tools are all FOSS.