Newbie Help

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Wed Jan 4 15:26:40 EST 2012

Ben Finney <ben+python at benfinney.id.au> writes:

> * Cross-platform, so that you're not denied the use of any popular
>   workstation OS.
>
> For my purposes, either { GNU Screen + Bash + Emacs } or { GNU Screen +
> Bash + Vim } are good choices satisfying all the above criteria. There
> may be other good combinations.

I slightly mis-spoke. Obviously GNU Screen and Bash are only truly
available on Unix-like operating systems. But that's pretty much all of
the popular workstation OSes except one.

GNU Emacs and Vim are truly available on every popular workstation OS.
Learn one of them well, and you will be able to take on the diversity of
programming tasks much easier.

--
 \       “A lot of people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of |
  `\                                           widths.” —Steven Wright |