Spamming PyPI with stupid packages

PiLS pils at invalid.ca
Wed Jan 4 15:48:36 EST 2012

Le mar, 03 jan 2012 20:28:59, Steven D'Aprano a ploppé:
> On Tue, 03 Jan 2012 05:08:47 -0800, Ethan Furman wrote:
>
> [...]
>>> "maybe policing uploads is worse than cluttering PyPI's disk space and
>>> RSS feed with dumb 1 KB packages." (Matt Chaput)
>>>
>>> I'd drop the "maybe".
>>
>> It's hard enough finding what one wants without having to wade through
>> crap.  PyPI is not the place for it.
>
> I agree. But who gets to choose which packages are "serious" enough to
> deserve to be on PyPI? Or good enough?
>
> The cost of allowing anyone the freedom to publish their work is that
> some published work will be crap.
>
> Besides, I find it hard to believe that the search facilities on PyPI are
> so bad that there would be any searches that come up with "girlfriend.py"
> or "car.py" as false positives.
>
> Seriously, the over-reaction here is something that has to be seen to be
> believed. The original complaint is over a couple of entries in an RSS
> feed and showing up on the front page of PyPI, perhaps a dozen words in
> total. The reaction has been thousands of words arguing back and forth.

+1

The "it objectifies wymyn" argument (back and forth) was particularly
funny (in a insignificant nonsensical hollier-than-thou nitpicking way).
I really was on the verge of pushing the plonk button a couple times
(between spurts of uncontrollable laughter).
If anything, I see the joke as derogatory to Python programmers; sadly,
this very thread proves this view. Also, I find it disturbing that the
wymyn-power knights in shiny armour identify a python module with
a woman. If I nuke a Karmic Koala, will they rat me out to the WWF, to
the UNODA, or to both?

--
PiLS