Help with python-list archives

random joe pywin32 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 5 19:45:30 EST 2012

On Jan 5, 6:10 pm, Ian Kelly <ian.g.ke... at gmail.com> wrote:
> Interesting.  I tried this on a Linux system using both gunzip and
> your code, and both worked fine to extract that file.  I also tried
> your code on a Windows system, and I get the same result that you do.
> This appears to be a bug in the gzip module under Windows.
>
> I think there may be something peculiar about the archive files that
> the module is not handling correctly.  If I gunzip the file locally
> and then gzip it again before trying to open it in Python, then
> everything seems to be fine.

That is interesting. I wonder if anyone else has had the same issue?

Just to be thorough I tried to uncompress using both python 2.x and
3.x and the results are unreadable text files in both cases. I have no
idea what the problem could be. Especially without some way to compare
my files to the gunzip'ed files on a linux machine.