ERROR:root:code for hash md5 was not found

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Wed Jan 11 13:25:16 EST 2012

On 1/11/2012 6:19 AM, mike wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We are running are running Python program on Redhat 5.5.
>
> When executing our program we get the following error ( see below).
>
> Any ideas what this is due to?
>
> br,
>
> //mike
>
> /pysibelius/lib/common/

> DataTypes.py
> Overwriten ...
> ERROR:root:code for hash md5 was not found.

These 3 lines do not come from the interpreter.
It might come from the hashlib module.

> Traceback (most recent call last):
>    File "/python/lib/python2.7/hashlib.py", line 139, in<module>
>      globals()[__func_name] = __get_hash(__func_name)
>    File "/python/lib/python2.7/hashlib.py", line 91, in
> __get_builtin_constructor
>      raise ValueError('unsupported hash type %s' % name)
> ValueError: unsupported hash type md5

This is a standard traceback from the interpreter.
The manual says that md5 should always be available.
On the other hand, hashlib depends on the OpenSSL library on your
system. Perhaps RedHat removed md5 because it has been broken.
I suggest you ask them or check your OpenSSL doc. The Python manual may
need to be changed.

--
Terry Jan Reedy