Newbie: Looking for code review on my first Python project.

HoneyMonster someone at someplace.invalid
Wed Jan 11 16:09:13 EST 2012

On Wed, 11 Jan 2012 11:39:48 +0000, HoneyMonster wrote:

> On Tue, 10 Jan 2012 18:17:48 -0700, Ian Kelly wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Jan 10, 2012 at 4:44 PM, HoneyMonster
>> <someone at someplace.invalid> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm new to Python and recently completed my first project. I used
>>> wxPython with wxGlade to generate the GUI bits.The application seems
>>> to work well, but I am entirely self-taught, so have undoubtedly
>>> committed a number of howlers in terms of style, design, standards,
>>> best practice and so forth.
> < snip constructive and helpful advice >
>
> Very many thanks to Ian and to all who responded. I really appreciate
> the guidance. Cheers.

I have taken on board the helpful suggestions offered, and looked though
the PEP-8 document which has been mentioned.

As a result, there are a number of changes to the code. My second attempt
is in the same place:

<http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6106778/bbc.py>

A couple of points:

1) I'm reluctant to try to improve this bit of code:
        self.add = wx.MenuItem(self.file, wx.NewId(), "&Add to Queue",
"Add a programme to the queue (for download later)", wx.ITEM_NORMAL)
        self.file.AppendItem(self.add)
since it is generated by wxGlade and so will be overwritten.

2) I was very unsure about the wx.CallAfter, and suspect that I have put
it in the wrong place. It seems to pass off well enough in Linux, but on
Windows it appears to prevent the widgets on the splash frame being drawn
properly.

If anyone would be kind enough, further comments would be welcomed.

Thanks,
WH