Zealotry

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Fri Jan 13 01:02:43 EST 2012

Steven D'Aprano <steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info> writes:

> On Thu, 12 Jan 2012 18:50:13 -0800, alex23 wrote:
>
> > Tamer Higazi <th9... at googlemail.com> wrote:
> >> So, instead of making yourself continuously headache for an
> >> outdated OS I advise [...]
> >
> > Please don't recommend people use another OS when they ask an
> > explicit question about a particular OS. It just makes you come
> > across as a zealot.
>
> Why is it that only Linux and Mac users are accused of being
> "zealots"? If I ask how to install (say) MYOB or Photoshop on Linux,
> and people tell me that I will have to use Windows if I want to easily
> run that software, I don't accuse them of being a zealot.

Agreed.

Giving a recommendation for a different OS is not zealotry.

Even if it were expressed passionately (and I don't think this case
qualifies), a recommendation of software on its merits is still not
zealotry.

When someone starts being extremely emotional, or even militant, it
might be appropriate to break out the “zealot” label. Short of that,
it's an attempt to slur someone enthusiastically giving advice.

--
 \       “I am amazed, O Wall, that you have not collapsed and fallen, |
  `\            since you must bear the tedious stupidities of so many |