open office in another language?

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Fri Jan 13 11:39:00 EST 2012

On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 00:17, Sean Wolfe <ether.joe at gmail.com> wrote:
> hmm I didn't know this, nice to know. Yes, C++ is still enough
> overhead that I wouldn't want to try extending it ... I bet the code
> is a whole lot to try and grok.

When Apache got the LibreOffice project they heavily refactored the
code. As a result, LO is considered less of a monstrosity to hack on
than Open Office.

That said, if your goal is to "try to extend" an application, then
being written in Java as opposed to C++ would be an advantage, not a
disadvantage. Especially in an application the size of OOo. That said,
only a few dialogues and wizards (none critical) are written in Java.
Most is C++.

> It would be nice to have an office suite in a newer language that is
> easier to tinker with.

Take a look at Calligra, C++ with Qt. It is supposed to be very easy
to extend and port, in fact that was a design goal.
http://calligra-suite.org/

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com/what_is/python.html