sys.argv as a list of bytes

jmfauth wxjmfauth at gmail.com
Thu Jan 19 05:40:44 EST 2012

> In short: if you need to write "system" scripts on Unix, and you need them
> to work reliably, you need to stick with Python 2.x.

I think, understanding the coding of the characters helps a bit.

I can not figure out how the example below could not be
done on other systems.

D:\tmp>chcp
Page de codes active : 1252

D:\tmp>c:\python32\python.exe sysarg.py a b é € \u0430 \u03b1 z
arg: 1   unicode name: LATIN SMALL LETTER A
arg: 2   unicode name: LATIN SMALL LETTER B
arg: 3   unicode name: LATIN SMALL LETTER E WITH ACUTE
arg: 4   unicode name: EURO SIGN
arg: 5   unicode name: CYRILLIC SMALL LETTER A
arg: 6   unicode name: GREEK SMALL LETTER ALPHA
arg: 7   unicode name: LATIN SMALL LETTER Z

jmf