Please don't use "setuptools", the "rotten .egg" install system.

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Fri Jan 20 11:20:03 EST 2012

On 01/19/2012 10:05 AM, John Nagle wrote:
>      I can do it, I just have better things to do than system
> administration.  The fact that Python doesn't "just work" is
> part of why it's losing market share.

Yes you keep saying that.  Of course you are complaining on the wrong
list.  You should be bugging Red Hat about the Python 2.7 thing (after
all you pay them for support, right?).  Whining about it here is just silly.

>      Python sort of slips through the cracks.  Nobody is doing
> the work to make PyPy handle these problems, and Python isn't
> important enough for MySQL, etc. to support the connector for
> the language.  (They support Perl, C, Java, etc., but not
> Python.)

Supporting C is all they need to do in this case.  Python works just
fine with C libraries.  I have used python with MySQL a fair amount in
my previous job.  The DB-API interface worked quite well and I found
PostgreSQL and MySQL drivers that worked quite nicely.  I'm not sure
what you think is missing.  Maybe you are whining about Python not
shipping with the MySQL connector directly.  Again, though this is a
problem best solved at the distribution level as Python cannot possibly
ship binary MySQL libraries for every variation of OS and MySQL client
library version.

I know the propensity of people on this list is to support and defend
Python from any criticism, but in this case such defense seems justified.