PyWart: Python regular expression syntax is not intuitive.

Rick Johnson rantingrickjohnson at gmail.com
Wed Jan 25 23:21:15 EST 2012

On Jan 25, 8:24 pm, Devin Jeanpierre <jeanpierr... at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 7:14 PM, Rick Johnson
>
> <rantingrickjohn... at gmail.com> wrote:
> > It is germane in the fact that i believe PyParsing, re, and my new
> > regex module can co-exist in harmony.
>
> If all you're going to change is the parser, maybe it'd be easier to
> get things to coexist if parsers were pluggable in the re module.
>
> It's more generally useful, too. Would let re gain a PyParsing/SNOBOL
> like expression "syntax", for example. Or a regular grammar syntax.
> Neat for experimentation.

I like your idea. Not sure about feasibility though. Unfortunately the
Python module "re" is under proprietary copyright. Hmm, seems not
everything is completely open source in the python world.

# This version of the SRE library can be redistributed under CNRI's
# Python 1.6 license.  For any other use, please contact Secret Labs
# AB (info at pythonware.com).

I need to dive into the "re" base code and see what is possible. My
original idea was to just start from scratch, but that may be foolish
considering all the scaffolding that will need to be erected.