The devolution of English language and slothful c.l.p behaviors exposed!

Ian Kelly ian.g.kelly at gmail.com
Thu Jan 26 02:51:02 EST 2012

On Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 10:25 PM, rusi <rustompmody at gmail.com> wrote:
> The contents of this thread ostensibly argues about the word 'pretty'
> Actually it seems to be arguing about the word 'troll'
>
> Every other post calls the OP a troll and then outdoes his post in
> length.

I just grepped, and it's hardly "every other post".  Prior to your own
post that word had been used three times in this thread.  Thus, by
using the word four times in your own message, you have more than
doubled the number of times it has been used in this thread.

> This does not match any meaning I can make of trolling.
>
> Can someone please explain what 'troll' means?

>From Wikipedia: "In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts
inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online
community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room, or blog,
with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional
response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion."

If the responses Rick is getting on his off-topic thread are longer
than his own posts in it (which I seriously doubt, considering the
enormity of his first two posts), that means that he is not just a
troll, but a successful troll.

Cheers,
Ian