Python Interview Questions

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Tue Jul 10 03:33:59 EDT 2012

On Tue, 10 Jul 2012 01:33:06 +0200, Christian Heimes wrote:

> Am 09.07.2012 23:22, schrieb Peter:
>> One of my favourite questions when interviewing - and it was 100%
>> reliable :-) - "what are your hobbies?"
>>
>> If the answer included programming then they were hired, if not, then
>> they went to the "B" list.
>
> on the contrary! When a potential candidate has computer stuff as her
> main hobby then she goes on the no-hire list. I prefer people that can
> cope with stress and pressure as well as people who can think outside
> the box. When you work with computers all day at work *and* at home then
> you are unable to shut off mentally.

...because the stuff you do on computers at work, and the stuff you do on
computers at home, are obviously exactly the same thing.

If they read for their job, and read at home, does that also mean they
can't shut off?

This is why I hate job interviews. You have like 30 minutes, or even as
little as 30 seconds, to make a good impression on somebody who may or
may not be capable of telling the difference between a cheese sandwich
and a box of hair -- and even the *good* interviewers are probably making
their judgement on the basis of subjective factors with no right or wrong
answers.

> Gardening is great hobbies for a developer. You need to be patient,
> reliable and provide constantly good work to grow your own vegetables.

And live in a house in the suburbs with enough room for a garden, good
soil, and not in the shadow of buildings. And work hours where you are
home during daylight hours.

You know what else is a great hobby for a developer? Anything, or
nothing, at all.

--
Steven