My first ever Python program, comments welcome

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Sun Jul 22 06:17:18 EDT 2012

On Sun, Jul 22, 2012 at 6:49 PM, Andrew Berg <bahamutzero8825 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 7/22/2012 3:37 AM, Lipska the Kat wrote:
>> Many in
>> the Linux world seem to use git. Seeing as I've been using Linux at home
>> since the early days of slackware I suppose I'd better look into it.
> There are Mercurial (aka Hg) and Bazaar as well for DVCS. AFAIK, git,
> Mercurial, and Bazaar are all fine choices and the one to use will
> mainly boil down to personal preference. I prefer Mercurial myself.

Agreed. I poked around with Bazaar a bit this year, and it seems to
lack some features. But certainly hg and git are both excellent
choices, with bzr not significantly far behind. I prefer git,
personally; on Windows, though, I would recommend hg.

Probably the best feature of any of them (one which, I believe, is now
standard in all three) is 'bisect' with a command. It's "git bisect
run", or "hg bisect -c", or "bzr bisect run". You can search back
through a huge time period without any human interaction. I did that a
while ago with a docs-building problem; the current state wouldn't
successfully generate its docs from a fresh start, even though it
could update them from a previous state. It took 45 minutes (!) of
chuggity-chug compilation to find the actual cause of the problem, and
no effort from me (since "make doc" already gave the right exit
codes). Use source control now; you'll reap the benefits later!

ChrisA