Is it necessary to call Tk() when writing a GUI app with Tkinter?

Mark Roseman mark at
Fri Mar 2 18:57:34 CET 2012

 Rick Johnson <rantingrickjohnson at> wrote:
> Book authors and Doc authors are not always the most well informed; as
> we have witnessed by this very thread! Obviously these tutorials are more
> like: "What NOT to do when coding Tkinter GUIs!" No wonder everyone hates Tkinter.  :-)

Indeed. One of the things that motivated me to write the tutorial at is the rather poor state (in terms of being out of
date, incorrect, or demonstrating poor practices) of most Tkinter

Call it self-serving, but I think the Tkinter world would be a happier
place if everyone just pointed to TkDocs. ;-)

To your point about explicit root, etc. I'll make the general
observation that lots of different things work in a given situation,
which is just fine for quick little hacky things. If people are doing
anything more than a throwaway however, they'd be better served by
spending a bit of time learning the conceptual underpinnings (e.g. after which the "right"
thing to do will be more obvious.