A 'Python like' language

Mel Wilson mwilson at the-wire.com
Sat Mar 3 07:07:31 EST 2012

Paul Rubin wrote:

> dreamingforward at gmail.com writes:
>>> hanging out on the Prothon list now and then, at least until we get
>>> the core language sorted out?
>>
>> Haha, a little late, but consider this a restart.
>
> It wasn't til I saw the word "Prothon" that I scrolled back and saw you
> were responding to a thread from 2004.  Prothon was pretty cool in some
> ways but I think it's been inactive for a very long time.  I don't see
> much point to developing a "slightly improved but incompatible
> Python-like language" anyway though.  Why make superficial changes that
> break working code and mentally overload programmers?  Python is a
> relatively mature language by now, so it shouldn't be messed with unless
> the changes produce drastic benefits, not minor ones.

A website still exists, but I don't see signs of a new language; looks like
a watering hole for some techies.

Prothon looked interesting as long as it promised to be about Python that
used prototypes instead of classes to organize objects.  What happened,
though, was that it turned into a crusade to remove every Python wart that a
bunch of people could imagine.  The band of developers might have had the
steam for the new object model, but they didn't have the steam to do
everything.

	Mel.