RotatingFileHandler Fails

nac cookfitz at gmail.com
Mon Mar 5 21:17:58 EST 2012

On Mar 5, 4:27 am, Jean-Michel Pichavant <jeanmic... at sequans.com>
wrote:
> nac wrote:
> > The RotatingFileHandler running on win 7 64-bit; py 2.7 is failing
> > when the script launches a process using subprocess.Popen. Works fine
> > if the subprocess is not launched
>
> > The exception thrown
> > Traceback (most recent call last):
> >   File "C:\Python27\lib\logging\handlers.py", line 78, in emit
> >     self.doRollover()
> >   File "C:\Python27\lib\logging\handlers.py", line 141, in doRollover
> >     os.rename(self.baseFilename, dfn)
> > WindowsError: [Error 32] The process cannot access the file because it
> > is being used by another process
>
> > Anyone have an idea how to fix this?
>
> > import os, sys
> > import logging
> > import logging.handlers
> > import subprocess
>
> > def chomp(s):
> >       "remove trailing carriage return"
> >       if s[-1:]=='\n': return s[:-1]
> >       else: return s
>
> > logging.basicConfig(level=logging.DEBUG, format='%(asctime)s %
> > (name)-2s %(levelname)-8s %(threadName)-12s %(message)s')
> > q5Logger = logging.getLogger('Q5')
> > logFileHandler = logging.handlers.RotatingFileHandler(filename='c:\
> > \logger\\q5.log', mode= 'a', maxBytes=100, backupCount=5)
> > logFileHandler.setFormatter(logging.Formatter('%(asctime)s %(name)-2s %
> > (levelname)-8s %(threadName)-12s %(message)s'))
> > logFileHandler.setLevel(logging.DEBUG)
> > q5Logger.addHandler(logFileHandler)
>
> > progOutput = subprocess.Popen(r'dir *.*', shell=True, bufsize=1000,
> > stdout=subprocess.PIPE).stdout
> > line = progOutput.readline()
> > while (line) != "":
> >       q5Logger.info( chomp(line))
> >       line = progOutput.readline()
> > rc = progOutput.close()
>
> I don't think you can open a file from 2 different processes, hence the
> error message. The only exception would be that one of them opens it in
> read only mode which won't happen for log file.
>
> You cannot fix it, it is the operand system that blocks the operation.
> Using thread may allow you to log into the same file, but could bring a
> bunch of other problems.
>
> I know some ppl use a log server, your processes using a socket (client)
> logger. You could do that on your local machine. There's a tutorial on
> that in the logging documentation.
>
> JM

Thanks for taking the time to look at the problem. In case you are
interested I was able to get this to work with the code at URL below.
Seemed to work because the subprocess I am running  is not actually
using the log file but the OS make it inherit a handle to the log
file. The code below disables that inheritance. Do you see any
problems with the approach?

http://bugs.python.org/file14420/NTSafeLogging.py